The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Bringing School Spirit to Gundersen Care Center

On Monday, September 19th, the Fillmore Central Cheerleaders took a trip on over to Gundersen Harmony Care Center to spread some smiles and school spirit.

To start off, the cheerleaders demonstrated three different stunts to the residents. These stunts, they explained, are typically performed between quarters and during timeouts at football games. Afterwards, the team showed off some cheers they use at games. They first went over two of their most popular cheers, and then they got the seniors involved with a call-and-response crowd cheer. Next, the audience got to watch some of the cheerleaders perform tumbling before everyone went inside to work on a craft the squad had prepared.

The cheerleaders assisted the residents in creating triangular falcon-themed cutouts. They are planning on assembling all of the individual cutouts into one banner, which will be used as a decoration at the Homecoming Dance. The craft time was an excellent opportunity for the girls to connect one-on-one with the seniors, and the seniors got to add their personal touch to a craft that will be displayed for our school.

As Siri Corson, a captain of the cheer team, put it,”It was nice to reach out to the elderly community, who is often overlooked. Despite their limited presence, they are still here supporting us from the sidelines.” Speaking about the team’s experience, Corson also added, “I know some of the girls were apprehensive at first, but they all left with a smile on their face. I think that’s what deemed it successful, more than anything.”