The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

On This Day In History: October 3rd

O.J. Simpson Gets Aquitted
O.J. Simpson putting on the leather glove.

On October 3, 1995, O.J. Simpson was acquitted after the trial accusing him of killing his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman. Orenthal James Simpson,a former running back for the Buffalo Bills and Heisman Trophy winner, did not have a good relationship with his wife after she filed for divorce just three years earlier.

O.J. Simpson had a lot of evidence mounted against him. It was known that before they divorced, he was committing spousal abuse. On June 12, 1994, Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were stabbed to death in her home. O.J. had no alibi for the night. There was a report from O.J.’s limo driver that he had seen a man walk into O.J.’s estate not long after the murders happened. O.J., who was previously not  answering the driver’s call, answered the call a few minutes later. There was a leather glove found in O.J.’s house that matched a glove found at the scene. The DNA found on the glove matched O.J.’s. Blood was found that didn’t match any of the victims, but it did match O.J. Simpson’s. There was more evidence with proof of O.J. purchasing a knife, and a boot print was found that matched the size of his boots. Even with all of this evidence, O.J. was still acquitted.

O.J. Simpson had two great lawyers that were able to plant reasonable doubt into the minds of the jury. It didn’t help that the L.A. police had made a few mistakes while investigating the crime. First the DNA and forensics collected weren’t properly stored which messed with the results. The leather glove was stored frozen, and cold causes leather to shrink. In the famous trial, O.J. tried on the glove and said it didn’t fit. His defense lawyer gave this famous line “If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit.”  This gave the jury that bit of doubt of whether the glove was really his. Ultimately, the jury decided that they could not prove without reasonable doubt that O.J. Simpson was the one to kill the couple.