The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

On This Day In History: October 9th

Hoover Dam Begins Sending Electricity To Los Angeles
https%3A%2F%2Ftravelnevada.com%2Fhistorical-interests%2Fhoover-dam%2F+
https://travelnevada.com/historical-interests/hoover-dam/

Hoover Dam is the giant and powerful structure that holds back the Colorado River. This project was completed in 1935 and had many purposes. It contains the Colorado River in Lake Mead and helps prevent flooding. Although the main reason for building the dam was to preserve and distribute water across the west, it also came with other benefits. This huge project created a great amount of electricity. On October 9, 1936, the Hoover Dam started to send electricity across the great West to the city of Los Angeles. This electricity would help power homes and buildings. 

Although it started under Herbert Hoover, this project was finished under the administration of Theodore Roosevelt. It then earned the name of the Hoover Dam. It had previously been known as the Boulder Dam. The Hoover Dam represented the strength of development and settlement. It showed that no obstacle could stand in the way of taming the West, so people could successfully live there. Even today it stands as a symbol to show the strength of people against the obstacles of nature.