The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

“Heartstopper” Review

Heartstopper Review

I know I’m a little late to the train for the love of “Heartstopper,” but I was looking for something short and easy to read so I chose the “Heartstopper” graphic novels. “Heartstopper” has been out for quite some time now. It first started as a web comic. It was then made into a graphic novel and then a Netflix exclusive TV show. The second season came out in August, and that’s when I started to think I should watch it. But I wanted to read it first. Thanks to my good friend Sienna, who owns the books, I was able to start.

I was hesitant to go into this because I’m not a big fan of graphic novels. I had also started to watch the show before I ever read it, and I thought it was cringy and awkward. Now that I’ve seen and read it, I think it’s great all around. The TV show has some differences but no big changes that would ruin the whole series. The changes it did make add instead of take away. We are able to see more of

the side characters’ stories, and it really adds depth to them that the graphic novel failed to do. One other thing I love about the show is that it includes elements of the graphic novels, like the leaves and flowers blowing across the screen. There was a part I was completely enthralled by. I literally thought this is a cinematic masterpiece.

The graphic novel is an incredibly fast read. I enjoyed every second. I couldn’t help but smile at the cutest couple the whole time. The art is great. I know one thing I do when reading a graphic novel is that I’m a critic of the art. If it doesn’t look good in my eyes I’ll have a hard time focusing on the story. I will say it isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. Charlie and Nick face some homophobia, and there is a plot revolving around mental health and eating disorders.

I cannot recommend this series enough. I have rated it 5 stars all around. If you have the time and money, I would suggest you watch the show on Netflix or buy the graphic novels. I am in love with “Heartstopper.” I want everyone else to be. It is truly cuteness overload, and it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try.