The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

On This Day In History: October 13th

White House Cornerstone Laid
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fworld-us-canada-66194754+
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66194754

In the city of Washington, D.C. there lies a great building known as the White House. The White House is quite a famous building, mainly known for being the home of the U.S. presidents. On October 13, 1792, the first cornerstone was laid. The construction of the White House was overseen by George Washington, even though he never lived in it. The first president to live in it was John Adams. The White House was officially opened to him on November 1, 1800. Every U.S. president since Adams has lived in it. 

The site for the building was chosen by George Washington, and it was designed by James Hoban, an Irish American architect. The incredible mansion was named the White House because of the whitish Virginia freestone used to construct it. Surrounded by the states of Maryland and Virginia, Washington D.C. was created to replace the nation’s previous capital of Philadelphia. They replaced it to have a better geological location in the new nation. The White House has gone through many changes over the years. With new additions and renovations, it has been edited by several of the previous presidents. Being the oldest federal building in the nation’s capital, the White House gets visited by millions of tourists each year.