The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

How to Keep Your Cats Out of Your Christmas Tree

Are you having problems with your cats getting into your Christmas tree and knocking off your precious ornaments? Well, do I have the solutions for you! There are many ways to keep cats out of your tree, but be warned it’s all trial and error with cats. They are independent little buggers, and they can do just about anything they set their mind to. 

The first suggestion is to put a cat tunnel under the tree. Cats are seclusive animals and love to be in dark, secret places. That’s why your cat loves to be in the tree. One way to stop them from going in the tree is to have them go under it. A simple donut shaped tunnel wrapped around the base of the tree will do. You can find cat tunnels at Target or Amazon. Now your cat will feel safe and secluded without having to knock down your precious ornaments.

The next solution is to cover your Christmas tree in strong smells. Like most predators, cats have highly sensitive noses, and they don’t like overpowering smells. Cats hate citrus and will steer clear of any orange or lemon smells. You can get some air fresheners, or you can decorate your tree with a garland of citrus. Hopefully that will keep them out of the tree, but if it doesn’t I have one more idea.

The last idea is to traumatize them with the tree. Now, I don’t entirely agree with this idea, but it has seemed to work for a lot of people. To scare the cat away from using the tree as a climbing post, you can shake the tree at them violently and chase them with it. Your cat will most likely run away and never go near the tree again. Just for the sake of the cat I would only use this as your last option because it can be a bit mean. There are better ways to go about keeping them out of the tree. 

These are just a few suggestions. There are lot of creative ideas out there. Of course your can’t predict what your cat will do, so it’s going to be trial and error. At the end of the day it’s not that big of a deal. You love them, you hate them, and you can’t live without them.