The Student News Site of Fillmore Central Senior High School

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Upcoming Events

The Fillmore Central Falconer

The Fillmore Central Falconer

Senior Spotlight: Layla Round

This week’s senior spotlight is shining the light on Layla Round. I had fun interviewing Layla. Some of her answers were very relatable. If you need someone to talk to Layla will listen and help out.

This year Layla is most excited to go on the senior trip and to graduate high school. After high school Layla plans to become a microbiologist for cancer research. She plans on attending the University of Sioux Falls in South Dakota. 

Layla’s main goal for this year is to be more involved. She wants to be more involved with the Student Council & Active Minds. She wants to be more a part of things during her senior year. Layla’s top goal for her future is to work at St. Jude’s or Mayo Clinic as a cancer researcher.

As a teacher, Mrs. Mehus has had the biggest impact on Layla. She stated, “She always pushed me to be better even when I didn’t want to be, even when I felt like I should just stop and quit. She always told me that I was destined to be someone great so I believed her.”

Layla did not attend elementary school in the Fillmore County district but in another district, her favorite memory from elementary school was when it was show and tell. Layla brought a fake frog toy and all of her classmates thought it was so cool. Layla’s favorite memory from high school was in her class, Supreme Court Studies. Their class was doing a debate, and Layla’s side was winning. Her classmate Tiana was getting really heated, and Layla found it very funny since she had never seen that side of her before.

The most challenging part of Layla’s senior year has been finding real friends that she can be herself with and not have to change her personality. The easiest part of her senior year has been bonding with teachers. Layla stated, “They just want to be there for you, I don’t know why people are so mean to them.”

Some advice that Layla wishes she got before Senior year is “to be remarkable” because when you go to college and continue on everyone is pretty much the same. Everyone can accomplish good grades and other things but do remarkable things. Some advice she wants to give to the underclassmen is… to be remarkable. Layla stated, “Take the next step to be different from others.”